• Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Paying for ongoing memberships

You pay fees for subscription memberships in advance each month, by Pay Pal from a bank account or credit card.

You can pay your monthly fees as far in advance as you like, up to the legal time limits. However, you still need to give us your account details for when your advance payments end.

Paying upfront

You can pay upfront for your SCW membership. Please select this option before checking out. For a yearly membership, you will pay on the day you buy it.

Renewing your upfront membership

When your membership is due to end, you can choose to renew it before that date at your existing rate, otherwise your membership fee will be set at the current rate. By renewing your membership, you agree to the membership terms that apply at that time.

Cancelling your membership

You can ask to cancel your membership by:
• emailing us at admin@selfconfidentwomen.com.au
• writing to us (preferably by registered post)

Confirming your request

When you do this, please always
• give us your email address so we can confirm your request in writing
• keep a copy of your request

How do you cancel after the minimum term?

Cancelling after the minimum term expires

Once the minimum term of your membership expires, you or we may cancel your membership.

When you cancel, you must pay us any fees you owe or we may take action to recover them.

Giving us notice

You must give us 28 days’ notice to cancel. We count this period from the date of your request, this means your final debit may be a pro rata amount.

To ensure your direct debit does not continue past your minimum term, you must give us notice
within this term.

You cannot freeze your membership payments during the notice period.

Transferring your membership to another person

You can transfer your membership to another person (transferee) within the minimum term of your agreement so long as the transferee:
• is not a current member
• has not been a member in the last 3 months
• completes the new membership sign-up process and pays a transfer fee equivalent to the start up fee
• is eligible to take up your membership (for instance, you cannot transfer a corporate or concession membership to someone who would not qualify for that membership)
• has not previously been banned by Self Confident Women or failed to pay membership fees.

The transfer is effective only after the transferee has completed the sign-up process.
We do not allow transfers once you have completed your minimum term. You also cannot transfer foundation, family or friends memberships.

Cancelling for other reasons

If you wish to cancel for any other reason and have more than 28 days left in your minimum term, you can pay out your agreement.

Can you cancel if we change the agreement?

Cancelling if changes to our terms & conditions adversely affect you

You can cancel your membership at any time if we change or add to these terms and conditions.

You can also cancel your membership if we breach our obligations and we do not fix the breach in a reasonable time after you have told us about it in writing. We will refund you any membership fees you pay between the date of notification and the date on which we decide that we cannot fix the breach.

In either case, you need to give your club 28 days’ notice (see 3.1). We will not charge an exit fee. 

Manage your membership online

SCW puts managing your membership, at your fingertips.
• Change your personal details
• Update your payment details, make a payment and view the details of your next payment
• Download a tax statement

Access your membership simply by logging in on the SCW website - www.selfconfidentwomen.com.au

Meeting your responsibilities

Your responsibilities, including payment of membership fees, do not depend on how often you use it.

You must tell us about anything that affects your membership, and any changes to your contact and bank details.